Simplified naturalisation of a foreign child born before 1 January 2006 of a Swiss father who is not married to the mother

A foreign child born to a Swiss father before 1 January 2006 whose parents are not married may submit a simplified naturalisation application in accordance with Art. 51 para. 2 of the Swiss Citizenship Act (SCA) if

  • the father was a Swiss citizen at the time of birth of the child,

  • the father’s paternity is established (acknowledgement of the child or paternity judgment) before the child has reached the age of majority,

  • the child has close ties with Switzerland. 

The applicant has close ties with Switzerland under Art. 11 of the Ordinance on Swiss Citizenship (SCO) if they:

  • stayed in Switzerland at least three times for a minimum of five days each time during the six years preceding the submission of the application;

  • are able to engage in everyday spoken communication in a national language;

  • have a basic knowledge of the geographical, historical, political and social particularities of Switzerland, and

  • maintain contacts with Swiss people. 

In addition, simplified naturalisation is granted provided that the applicant respects public security and public order, respects the values of the Federal Constitution, participates in economic life or completes an education or training programme, encourages their family members to integrate and does not compromise Switzerland's internal or external security. 

If the applicant has children who are minors, they can be included in the application. 

The State Secretariat for Migration (SEM) is the competent authority for deciding whether an application for simplified naturalisation is granted. 

If you meet these conditions, please contact the competent Swiss representation in your country of residence, which will provide you with the relevant forms and information.


Swiss law recognises dual citizenship. You can in principle keep your original citizenship. Acquisition of Swiss citizenship may, however, result in loss of your original citizenship if the law of your country of origin requires it. Relevant official information can be obtained from the authorities of the country of origin.

Dual Citizenship